Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Perfect Puzzle Sew-A-Long: Completing the Skirt























This is going to be the very last blog post of the sew-a-long series with Hailey Bug's Closet The Perfect Puzzle Set.  We're finishing our skirts today and then you'll need to head over to the group over the next few days and post your finished pictures to the album so you can be entered to win the fabulous prizes.  FREE patterns, FREE fabric????  Yes.  Count me in!!

Ok so grab the pieces you cut out for your flounce way back on July 14 and let's get rolling.

So, you might remember that I'm doing the pieced flounce option because I like to get a little crazy sometimes. I grab all 8 of my flounces and lay them out like this until I find a skirt pattern I like.  I move them around, trade spots, get it how I like it and take a quick cell phone pic in case I forget what I want it to look like while I'm sewing it all together.


Pick anywhere on the skirt to start, doesn't matter where, and fold one flounce over on top of the other so right sides are together.

 Paying attention to the order of your skirt, sew either the right side or the left side seam. In this case, I'll be sewing the seam on the left side of this picture.  (You can also choose to lay your panels wrong sides together and give your skirt some exposed seams for a funkier look.)


Then, grab your third panel in the series, place it over top the second one, (right sides together) and sew.



Continue this process until you have a chain of 8 panels all sewn together (leave the tails).



Now, you're going to fold the whole chain over on itself, lining up the two edges that need to be sewn together (right sides together), and finish the last seam to form your circle.



When you're done sewing all your flounces together, you will have a circle skirt!  Bravo!



Now, grab your finished top piece and fold it in half to find the center point.  Mark the front and back center with a pin.


Figure out which 4 panels of your flounce you want to show in the front and which four you want in the back. Line up the center front seam of your skirt with the center front point you marked with a pin and pin it together (right sides together).  Do the same for the side seams and the center back seam.


You'll be pinning the skirt to the shirt in quarters. (Click on any of these pictures if you need to zoom in.)


Then sew the whole skirt onto the shirt, and tuck your serger tail in.  Almost done!


You have a couple options for finishing the bottom of your skirt.  If you need more length you can always add a ruffle, or you can do a rolled hem with your serger or tuck and turn and hem it with your sewing machine.  You can also choose to just serge off the bottom like I did, and tuck your serger tail once again.  I like to add a label on the back of all my garments and DONE!


I really hope you had an awesome time sewing up your little creations!  There are so many options in this pattern I'm sure every single one of ours is all different.  Don't forget to upload a final picture of your item(s) into the album in the group, and stay tuned for the winners to be announced!!!  Thanks for following me on this little sewing adventure!  HAPPY SEWING!
























2 comments:

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...